Below is a helpful collection of metal detecting tips, if you would like to add to the list please head over to the contact page.
- A finds bag is very helpful, one that clips on at the waist with many pockets and zips to separate finds and tools. I have one pocket for finds that are interesting and one for trash.
- Invest in a decent spade, a good spade speeds things up a great deal.
- Invest in a pin pointer. This is the one purchase that sped my recovery rate the most.
- Sweep slow and steady.
- When it doubt, dig! You never know what the next dig will find.
- Often discriminating out causes the metal detector to be a little slower in responding. It helps to learn what the sounds are and then you end up discriminating yourself.
- Ensure you have permission to hunt on the land you are on.